Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Are You Using Google Chrome Extensions? If not, you don’t know what you are missing!

Our blogger today Amy Everhart, Special Education Coordinator and District Technology Coach with Liberty-Perry Community School Corporation.

I thought Chrome was just another web browser. Boy was I wrong! Chrome has made my life so much easier simply by learning about Google Extensions! Extensions are like shortcuts that allow you to access other sites without leaving the page that you are on! Extensions are little icons that will appear at the end of your address bar. The possibilities for extensions are endless. Extensions make for a custom web browser! Because of Chrome Extensions, my laptop now has many of the same accessibility features as my iPad.  


Here are my top 5 extensions:


picture 2015-01-28 at 1.47.32 PM.png Boomerang for Gmail
Allow me to type emails and have them sent at certain times. This lets me get the task off my list when I am thinking about it without overwhelming others too early about reminders, etc.



picture 2015-01-28 at 1.53.26 PM.pngExtensity
Allows you to close out or hide extensions that aren't in use to free up room in your toolbar for those that you don't use daily or have downloaded to try later. This is essential once you start downloading multiple extensions.



picture 2015-01-28 at 1.55.11 PM.pngShortenMe
Allows me to shorten web addresses and create a QR code from the page that I am on without opening another tab.


picture 2015-01-28 at 1.56.34 PM.png
Tab Saver
Saves open tabs, so you can access later. You can group/name tabs and add/remove sites as needed. I am notorious for leaving tabs open until I complete a task. This allows me to close out my tabs but also keep myself organized.



picture 2015-01-28 at 1.57.49 PM.png Cite This for Me
Automatically creates citations from the page you are on that you can copy and paste where needed (project, bibliography). This lets me use fun images in my projects by making citations easy.



Here are a few of my other favorites depending on what tools you use: Pocket, Save to Google Drive, Storify, Symbaloo. I also use Buffer and Twitter for Chrome. While doing this blog, I learned about Shareaholic and can’t wait to try it out!

Excited about Extensions, but think that you need time to start? Don’t worry! Google Chrome makes switching browsers so easy by transferring all of your bookmarks for you! Check out this link for instructions on how to import your bookmarks.

Here are instructions on how to manage your extensions.


Download Chrome today and start by downloading my top 5 extensions!

Tip: Be sure you are downloading extensions instead of apps. Apps will open up in a new tab while extensions work directly from the page you are on.

Tweet @MrsEverhart1 with #INeLearn to share your favorite extension!

1 comment:

  1. Visiting the Chrome Web Store is like taking a shopping trip to your favorite store with a gift card in hand! So many cool tools to discover! Here is a link to a professional development activity created by the teachers at Cascade Middle School in March of 2014. This PD experience was the first time that about 90% of our staff had ever even heard of the Chrome Web Store. https://sites.google.com/a/mccsc.k12.in.us/chrome-store-shopping/

    ReplyDelete